Saturday, January 2, 2010

What makes Mountain women?

Let me tell you alittle of me and where I come from.
My family moved to the NC Mountains before 1845.I am proud of my ancestors and that I have their blood and even their stubbornness as part of who I am.
The mountain life was a hard one.
Raising crops and livestock on a mountain side, with enough rocks in the fields to build a potato house. Harvest and preserve enough food (crops and livestock)for the winter season and part of the spring season. Tending to and Harvesting a full supply of herbs and natural supplies.
This treasure is for all illnesses and injuries for family and neighbors as needed.
You didn't run to the doctor when a baby was comin, a farming accident occurred,illness was circulating, the croup was torturing your child, grandma was suffering with the joint aches or a love one's death was slow and painful. The hunters were facing possible death everytime they ventured into the wilderness to trap or shot wild animals. For that matter they all were possibly steps away from death.
But there were good times. Music, dances, storytelling,talking with friends and neighbors,children playing, teenagers turning into adults, joining for preaching at the small country church (even when you have to mitt and fess)not to mention gathering for family events and holidays.The food , oh my goodness the food!

The family stories from hundreds of years ago are passed down to know of their lives and the events that made them, what they were. And us what we are! We were raised up knowing the men and women in our family were tough and strong, had to be to survive. Knowing we are tough and strong, that is who we are!
Mountain life is still hard. With 18 inches of snow, hiking down the icy steep side of the mountain to get our goat back to safety, feeding the animals when every muscle in your body is aching for rest,melting snow because electric out for 2 weeks (oh yeah the water from the snow is for the animals), walking into the house at night and turn to see why the dogs are going crazy to see the biggest bear I have even seen in these parts within spitting distance (and then crying when I heard it was killed in a car accident). There is so much I want to share with you, but that takes time right?

If I am not boring you, come back for a visit real soon. I will have the coffee pot steaming, hand-me-down recipes to share, listening to your cares and worries and the stories and gossip flowing.(You might not know my neighbors but you will before long :.)

Come Back soon now, ya'll hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on our blog. Having You join in our excitement increases the joy tremedously. Thanks again!